Naming the Nameservers

Patrick Greenwell patrick at stealthgeeks.net
Wed Aug 18 21:14:30 UTC 1999

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Michel Marcon wrote:

> Hi
> While I understand your concerns, I don't agree with this type of
> naming convention. Naming a proxy 'proxy.society.com' or or a mail
> gateway 'mail.unicorn.net' may alert the wily hacker. Let this one
> take pain and try to discover the real usage of each and every
> computer of a target LAN. Yes I know, he might use a scanner, but why
> should you try to hel him?

> Other right examples:
> Mailserver:      octopus.unicorn.net
> Proxy:                nelson.society.com

One of the main purpose of DNS is to give useful names to objects, like
hosts. While it's fine if you've got a couple of boxes at home to name a
host whatever because it is easily remembered, when you have tens,
hundreds, or thousands of hosts naming a box "octopus" suddenly seems less
useful to the people that work there who are going to have to figure out
what the host "octopus" does.