Default Domain

Dave Flanigan davef at flanigan.net
Wed Aug 18 22:56:04 UTC 1999

Gurus / DNS Masters / et all:

I am running BIND and am having problems with Windows PPP clients who
are running Lotus Notes. (Ick).

Lotus Notes doesn't provide FQDN for its queries from client to
server. And I am not having much luck getting BIND to use a default
domain.

I used to have a "domain ourdomain.com" entry in the named.boot file,
but according to the new manual :

       " The boot file directives ``domain'' and ``suffixes''  have
       been obsoleted by a more useful resolver-based implementa-
       tion of suffixing for partially  qualified  domain  names.
       The  prior  mechanisms could fail under a number of situa-
       tions, especially when then local nameserver did not  have
       complete information."

I have created a resolver with the following information:

search outdomain.com ourdomain2.com ourdomain3.com
nameserver 208.43.1.3

However still no go. When I run named with the named.boot file command
of options query-log I can see the queries in the log, and it doesn't
look like they are getting completed.

Here is a small log cut, the first 3 are notes clients, and the last 3
are web surfers:

Aug 18 13:04:23 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.200/notes02/A
Aug 18 13:04:32 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.120/notes01/A
Aug 18 13:04:45 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.200/notes02/A
Aug 18 13:15:48 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.42/previewtravel.aol.com/A
Aug 18 13:15:52 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.12/www.previewtravel.com/A
Aug 18 13:15:53 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.72/view.avenuea.com/A

Notes the short name provided by the notes clients, and the fully
qualified domains by the web servers.

My question is simple, can I force bind to slap a domain on the end of
any short, not fully qualified domain names, as I once could with the
named.boot directive domain?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.