myNIC registration requirements

Mathias Koerber mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
Wed Aug 18 05:44:41 UTC 1999

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 asenec at asenec.dallas.nationwide.net wrote:

| Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:36:27 -0500 (CDT)
| From: asenec at asenec.dallas.nationwide.net
| To: bind-users at isc.org
| Subject: myNIC registration requirements
|
| Has anyone dealt with this registration agency?
| Surely they can't have a registration requirement
| as insane as this:
|
| > NSLOOKUP RESULT:
| >

| > --- PRIMARY SERVER ---
| >

| > nslookup -q=any  smartchoice.com.my  216.121.32.12
| >
| > Server:  magnesium.colossus.net
| > Address:  216.121.32.12
| >
| > Non-authoritative answer:     <==SHOULD GIVE AN authoritative answer
| >

| That was taken from the rejection notification sent by myNIC to
| the party attempting to register the domain.
|
| Going at this from a different approach, short of starting named and blocking
| all the world from the nameserver, except for myNIC, how could one possibly
| guarantee an authoritative response from a nameserver for a particular
| domain?  Am I missing something here?

If the nameserver was listed as primary NS in the registration template,
it *should* give an authoritative response.

I had my disagreements with MYNIC over issues like requiring that the
SOA mhost be listed as nameserver (effectively diallowing stealth primaries
behind firewalls) and others, but at first look this looks ok.
I also disgree with them using nslookup for the test (as nslookup has
a few interesting bugs that sometimes trigger rejections from MyNIC,
when dig shows the domain to be ok).

To know better whether this is ok or not, we would know what the template
looked like you sent in.  Did it list 216.121.32.12 as nameserver for the
domain requested?

Mathias Koerber	  | Tel: +65 / 471 9820    |   mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
SingNet NOC	  | Fax: +65 / 475 3273    |            mathias at koerber.org
Q'town Tel. Exch. | PGP: Keyid: 768/25E082BD, finger mathias at singnet.com.sg
2 Stirling Rd     |      1A 8B FC D4 93 F1 9A FC BD 98 A3 1A 0E 73 01 65
S'pore 148943     | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *