Root servers

Kathleen_Moriarty/FactSet%FACTSET at factset.com Kathleen_Moriarty/FactSet%FACTSET at factset.com
Wed Aug 18 02:04:47 UTC 1999

Hello,

I am having intermittent problems resolving certain host names for periods
of a few hours at a time over the past few days.  I believe I tracked does
the problem to intermittent packet loss to 4 of the root servers.  The
problem in each case is not on my ISPs networks, but after I leave their
networks.  I am following up with my ISPs, but wanted to know if other
people were experiencing the same problem.  Root server are also not always
able to contact the primary and secondary servers for my domain name as we
ran into trouble last night when one of our servers could not be resolved -
that cleared up on it's own.  I guess when the cache expired and during a
time we were not seeing the packet loss.

We are having the most problems with domain names from other countries -
.jp, .es, .br, etc.

The servers I noticed packet loss to are:

192.112.36.4
128.63.2.53
193.0.14.129
198.32.64.12

I am seeing the loss right now, but it is intermittent.

Also, I have not seen mail on this list in a few days?

Thank you,
Kathleen