Disable Bind's response to version queries and zone xfer requests

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Aug 17 18:11:58 UTC 1999

In article <37B8BDD6.5B8D938D at netscape.net>,
Ronald Procopio  <RonaldMarkProcopio at netscape.net> wrote:
>Under Bind 4 there is an option called SECURE_ZONE (yes I know there is
>an underline - I belive that's right) that you can use in the BIND zone
>file to limit transfer and queries of that specific zone.

SECURE_ZONE restricts *all* queries, not just zone transfers.  And it's
gone in BIND 8 (the "allow-query" option in named.conf serves the same
purpose).  If you want to restrict zone transfers in BIND 4.9.x you use
"xfrnets" in named.boot.

BTW, why do you imply that there might be something wrong with the
underscore?  The only place where underscores aren't allowed is in
hostnames, and SECURE_ZONE isn't a hostname.  In fact, they probably put
the underscore in the name precisely to avoid conflicting with a potential
hostname.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com