Revers Zone

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Mon Aug 16 11:59:25 UTC 1999

>>>>> "kevin" == eastk  <eastk at gte.net> writes:

    kevin> I have a internal network running Bind 8.X.  I am using the
    kevin> network 10.0.0.0 using VLSM.  Masks are 255.254. and
    kevin> 255.255.252.  I am using the 255.254 mask for areas and
    kevin> 255.255.252 for user subnets.  The question has to do with
    kevin> reverse DNS.  I want to setup Reverse DNS primary servers
    kevin> for each area.  When I attempt to set them up the resulting
    kevin> domains are in the following format 22-4.10.in-addr.arpa,
    kevin> 22-6.10.in-addr.arpa, 22-8.10.in-addr.arpa.  When I run
    kevin> tools like NSLookup they don't resolve in these domains.
    kevin> If I configure the entire 10 network for reverse it creates
    kevin> a file like 10.in-addr.arpa.  I am using Lucent
    kevin> technologies QIP to create these files.

This is probably the source of your problem. IIUC, QIP does not allow
delegations of the reverse number space under its control. [Perhaps
they have fixed that in a later version of the software. It wasn't
done in the one I encountered.] If you tell QIP it "owns" network 10,
it can only generate one monolithic zone file for the 10.in-addr.arpa
domain and populate the zone file with PTR records. This is because
QIP assumes that since it owns this network and all the hostnames and
addresses are in its database, hosts will only be added or removed
using their tool. You may be able to partition slices of your number
space so that the network administrators for each slice can update the
QIP database each time they add or remove hosts from their bit of the
network. This should work OK, though you still get a monolithic zone
file for 10.in-addr.arpa.

I think that the model of QIP's database will make it difficult -
perhaps even impossible - to do RFC3127-style reverse zone delegation.
I'm presuming you want to set up zones like 22-6.10.in-addr.arpa and
22-8.10.in-addr.arpa and make A.B.C.10.in-addr.arpa a CNAME for some
PTR record in say 22-6.10.in-addr.arpa.

Disclaimer: I am not a QIP admin. However I have been on the receiving
end of all sorts of nasty problems with zones and name servers that
are under QIP control.