nslookup w/ BIND 8.1.2

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sun Aug 15 20:42:54 UTC 1999

FullName <acl at exis.net> wrote in message
news:<37b6595d.6568252 at news.exis.net>...
> What can cause an "unspecified error" message when doing an nslookup
> using BIND 8.1.2?  O'Reilly's book on DNS and BIND gave what I thought
> was an unsatisfactory explanation to this message.

An unsatisfactory explanation to an unspecified error?  Imagine!

> The "unspecified
> error" occurred when I did "ls my.domain" on my own domain name.
> Doing an nslookup on a machine running BIND 4.9.7 using the same zone
> files returns no error message.

It could be a number of things:

- You're trying to transfer a zone that you've secured using allow-transfer.
- Your name server isn't actually authoritative for the zone, either because
of a syntax error or through misconfiguration.
- You're specifying a domain name that isn't the domain name of a zone.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.