Establishing an internal root server

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Fri Aug 13 20:24:12 UTC 1999

Steve Hammill <shammill at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:<37B459C9.AB7F14A0 at earthlink.net>...
> We do not have an Internet connection.  Can I establish our primary as a
> pseudo-root by giving the A server in db.cache my DNS address and
> deleting the rest?

No.  You've got to create a real zone data file for the root zone and
configure your name server as authoritative for that zone.

> Or is there a "proper" way to do it.  I couldn't find it in DNS/Bind,
> but I might not have been using the correct terminology.

Try the last chapter, in the section on firewalls.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.