newbie DNS question

Steve Hodgson shh5455 at acs.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 12 15:43:44 UTC 1999

I want to run DNS on my linux box so that I don't have to pay a provider
to host my domain.  This may seem like a dumb question, but when you
register your domain with the InterNIC, do you enter the IP addresses of
the DNS servers or just the host name?  If you just enter the host name,
then why wouldn't the following situation be a problem:

Domain: mysite.com
Primary NS: ns1.mysite.com
Secondary NS: ns2.mysite.com

Now, when someone tries to resolve mysite.com, it will look to
ns1.mysite.com.  But in order to reslove ns1.mysite.com it would look to
ns1.mysite.com.  It's seems like a never-ending loop to me.  I'm I just
confused or what?

Thanks,
Steve