resolv.conf problem??

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Wed Aug 11 17:51:49 UTC 1999

Bennett Samowich wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This is a simple matter I'm sure...
>
> We have set up several sub-domains in our system and are experiencing some
> weirdness with regards to name resolution.  I figure that it is in the
> resolv.conf file but I'm not sure.
>
> Here is what is going on:
>
> * The DNS servers reside on the primary domain.
>
> * /etc/resolv.conf (remaining sub-domains removed for simplicity)
>   search fsproduce.com madc.fsproduce.com training.fsproduce.com
>   nameserver 172.16.1.3
>   nameserver 172.16.1.7
>   nameserver 204.249.184.2
>
> * zones
>   fsproduce.com
>   madc.fsproduce.com
>   training.fsproduce.com
>   -- etc --
>
> * PROBLEM (host1 is on the training subnet)
>   When I query for host1 DNS can't find the address,
>   however, when I query for host1.training is does.
>
>   #> nslookup host1
>   Server:  vpn1.madc.fsproduce.com
>   Address:  172.16.1.3
>
>   *** vpn1.madc.fsproduce.com can't find host1: Non-existent host/domain

Clearly a resolver problem.... The file section you showed looks ago,
unless there are unprintable character in it. What happens if training
is second in the list? Delete the line and recreate it with only the 3
domains listed.

Just to clarify. You are running the query on the server itself?

Michael