Question ON DNS !!!

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Tue Aug 10 23:44:26 UTC 1999

Bhuwan Pandey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some question about DNS, please clarify to me.
>
> 1.> How many servers(maximum) can be specified in
> /etc/resolv.conf file.

I don't know what the limit is, but remember one thing..
The client application is waiting for a DNS response and won't wait
forever.
BTW, I have not seen more than 3

> 2. How much time does a client wait if none of the
>    server specified in /etc/resolv.conf are responding
>
>    for name query?
>
> 3. How do youm disable or enable ARPA/BSD services?

Platform and version dependent.

> 4. How do you setup seconday DNS server.

Platform and version dependent.

This is much too involved for discussion here.
Your previous questions on "What is DNS?" means you need some
instruction book for basic DNS. While this mailing list can help you on
specific questions, you really need to find a resource to study. We all
have to start somewhere, but if you have to ask about the basics, you
are never going to learn on your own. It is much better in the long run
for you to learn the fundamentals.

Michael

Michael Voight