BIND and DNS !!!

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Tue Aug 10 16:20:55 UTC 1999

BIND is an implementation of DNS. There are few DNS's that are not BIND
ports. I can only name one..

I am rather curious about why you would subscribe to a BIND newsgroup
without knowing what DNS was. There are ample resources to explain what
DNS is, but I recommend the book "DNS And BIND" by Paul Albitz and
Cricket Liu, published by O'Reilly and Associates (3rd edition is
newest).

In short, if allows you to not store a list of hosts and addresses on
all of your machines. Additionally, without using DNS, it is nearly
impossible to access the internet. How else would you find www.cisco.com
or www.weatherpost.com, etc???

Michael