error using BIND 8.2.1 against Microsoft's DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Aug 9 18:11:22 UTC 1999

In article <m3d7wxm2c5.fsf at monjard.orgtek.com>,
Daniel A. Monjar <dmonjar at orgtek.com> wrote:
>My intent is to let the MS DNS be primary so that it can feed the
>WINS/DHCP addresses to the BIND
>secondaries.  I'm only going to let the clients know about the BIND
>secondaries because the MS DNS
>flakes out too frequently.

WINS records are not a part of the DNS standard.  The error you got is
because the MS DNS included its WINS record in the zone transfer, and BIND
doesn't recognize this.  You need to check the "Settings affect local
server only" box on the MS server.

If you want the secondary servers to be able to look up WINS records,
they'll have to run MS DNS as well; you can't use BIND for that.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com