BIND8 starts ISDN at boot-up

Bernd Pörner poerner at darmstadt.gmd.de
Sun Aug 8 10:52:34 UTC 1999

I´m working with BIND 8.1.2-22 and I have the following problem:

My Linux box acts as DNS, mail server and proxy server for a small
network (50 clients). I connect to my provider via ISDN. Every time I
boot my machine and BIND starts, it connects to my provider. After
boot-up it makes automatic ISDN connects in irregular intervals. I´m
sure that BIND does this connects because I run "isdnctrl verbose 3"
which tells me that these connects are made via UDP protocol over port
53 (which is the dns port).

And another curious thing:
If BIND comes up at boot-up, sendmail is unable to start at boot time.
If I start sendmail after boot process is over it works fine. If BIND
doesn´t start at boot time, sendmail has no starting problems at boot
time.

Any ideas?

Best regards
Bernd Poerner