MX records ??

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Aug 9 15:40:13 UTC 1999

> OK, so is it even possible to create different email-addresses like :
>
> webmaster at thraso.com --> vcmirko at village.uunet.be
> vcmirko at thraso.com --> vcmirko at hotmail.com
> sylvie at thraso.com --> sdejonghe at mail.dma.be
>
> ????
>
> This confuses me, because my zonefile was previously hosted by
> yournamefree.com and they allowed to make 10 aliases to whatever
> email-address I wanted.  However I need more that 10...
>
> ?? thanx
>
> slash

You need to make ONE "MX" record from the "threaso.com" domain to ONE
mail server:
	thraso.com.	IN MX	10 not-yournamefree.com.
and then have THAT host do the re-direction of your mail addresses.
The "yournamefree.com" did all of this behind the scenes.

Well, you could have multiple alternate mail servers.  Then you would
have the bother of keeping them all properly configured.

Again, you will need the co-operation of that host or hosts to accept
e-mail addressed to users at "thraso.com", and to re-direct each of
those addresses individually.  Doable, but NOT the normal mode of
operation.

Why don't you just operate your own "thraso.com" mail server machine?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B