Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Sun Aug 8 22:27:32 UTC 1999

In article <99080808491004.11196 at dns.eklanda.net>,
Magnus Benngard  <magnus at eklanda.net> wrote:
>From name to IP no problem.
>From IP to name - not working.
>Should it work even if my ISP has not fix the Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation?
>(I am 100 percent sure my ISP has not delegated anything.)

No, it won't work if they haven't delegated.  It's not like normal reverse
DNS, where you'll get reverse resolution if you use your own server, but
not get it if you use an outside server.  The technique in RFC 2317 only
works if the domain for the /24 block contains CNAME records that point
into your subdomain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com