How To Lookup DNS Server??

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Aug 6 17:18:45 UTC 1999

In article <37AAEF6D.DE35FC5A at gmx.net>, Dirk  <schoettl at gmx.net> wrote:
>Hello,
>does anybody know how to lookup the default DNS-SERVER under Win95
>and/or Linux and/or any other plattform. Using different providers the
>DNS-SERVERS are different, so I have to get it everytimes again.

On all flavors of Unix, including Linux, the current DNS servers are listed
in /etc/resolv.conf.  Under Windows I believe you can find the current
servers in the Network control panel under TCP/IP, but I'm not a Windows
expert.

But it doesn't sound like this is what you're looking for.  It sounds like
you want to find out the servers that are appropriate for the provider
you're using.  If your system has been configured by the ISP using DHCP,
this information should have been supplied automatically to it.  If it
wasn't, there's no automatic way to find it -- the ISP should tell you what
to use and you configure it manually.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com