Cname error

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Aug 5 23:19:17 UTC 1999

In article <37AA13E1.52223027 at firstconsulting.net>,
Benjamin John  <bjohn at firstconsulting.net> wrote:
>Aug  5 18:33:33 omega named[322]: dangling CNAME pointer
>(88.88/29.92.220.209.in
>-addr.arpa)
>

>what does this mean ?

Dangling CNAME means a CNAME record that points to a name that doesn't
exist.  Someone was trying to do a reverse lookup of 209.220.92.88.
88.92.220.209.in-addr.arpa is a CNAME that points to
88.88/29.92.220.209.in-addr.arpa.  But you don't have a PTR record for 88
in your 88/29.92.220.209.in-addr.arpa zone.

If you don't actually have a machine with that IP address, I wouldn't worry
about this; it's not clear why someone should be trying to look that
address up in the first place.  But if you want to get rid of the error,
add an entry:

88  IN PTR no-such-host.firstconsulting.net.

You might as well go ahead and create similar PTR records for all the other
addresses in your block.  When you actually assign machines to those
addresses you can change them to refer to their real names.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com