wildcard subdomains w/name based VHOST

| the : clap | the_clap at my-deja.com
Thu Aug 5 20:35:22 UTC 1999

I am having one problem so far with the wildcards:
I use name based Virtual Host Apache server, with several domain names
per IP#.
a line like:

*.example.com.     IN      CNAME   example.com.

in my DNS is directing  *.example.com to the default page for the
IP# that domain is assigned to.  The only way I got it working properly
is if I switch the order of the VIRTUALHOST Apache entries in httpd.conf
so that the domain name is first under the "NameVirtualHost"
Which is OK, because it works, but since I only have 12 IP#s, that only
allows me 12 domains to host wildcard subdomains.

To explain it differently, pretend I have 2 sites on (1) IP#
example.com, and domain.com
in my httpd.conf file, if example.com is listed first under the IP#,
wildcards work fine for example.com - but for domain.com (listed
second)  the URL's with subdomains (like sub.domain.com) all direct to
example.com's default page.

here is most of the DNS entry:
; Zone file for example.com
; Created 1999072501 by newhost
@                       IN      SOA     mydns.myhost.com.
hostmaster.myhost.com. (
                                                1999072501
                                                10800
                                                1800
                                                3600000
                                                1800
                                        )
                IN      NS      mydns.myhost.com.
                IN      NS      secondarydns.myhost.com.

example.com.       IN      A       209.249.26.26
                IN      MX      10 mail.myhost.com.
*.example.com.     IN      CNAME   www
mail            IN      CNAME   venus.myhost.com.
www             IN      CNAME   example.com.
ftp             IN      CNAME   example.com.
pop3            IN      CNAME   example.com.

How can I fix this so any VHOST can support wildcard subdomains w/o
resolving to the deafult page for the shared IP#?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/