MX records ??

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Aug 5 17:23:11 UTC 1999

> I'm writing my own granitecanyon-zonefile.  As for now, only the
> address-record seem to work, my MX-records don't, I not really familiar with
> all this DNS-stuff.  (I would like to learn it though)  here are my
> MX-records.  I must be missing something but I don't know what ?
>
> webmaster.thraso.com IN MX vcmirko at village.uunet.be
> vcmirko.thraso.com IN MX vcmirko at hotmail.com
>
> What is wrong or missing ?

Same as with URLs.  DNS does NOT handle e-mail addresses.  The
right-hand side of an MX record must be the name of an e-mail host.
The e-mail host will take all mail addressed to the hosts or domains on
the left-hand side, and "do the right thing" with them.

The MX records you have written above say:

	If any mail is sent to anybody at webmaster.thraso.com, then send
	that email to the host whose name is "vcmirko at village.uunet.be"
	(that is, in domain uunet.be, host name "vcmirko at village").
	That host will be able to accept e-mail addressed to
	anybody at webmaster.thraso.com and direct it to the right place.

	If any mail is sent to anybody at vcmirko.thraso.com, then send
	that email to the host whose name is "vcmirko at hotmail.com"
	(that is, in domain com, host name "vcmirko at hotmail").  That
	host will be able to accept e-mail addressed to
	anybody at vcmirko.thraso.com and direct it to the right place.

Somehow, I do NOT think that is what you wanted to do.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B