No root nameservers for class in

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Wed Aug 4 14:12:40 UTC 1999

Eva Felipe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Lars Petterson wrote:
> > Ok, I did not look that closely at your root.hints file :-) the address in
> > root.hints is an address that you say that you are the DNS for. That will
> > probably create these problems. Sounds like recursion :-)  I found your
> > first message about this and I see there that 10.20.0.13 is your own
> > machine.
> >
> > So you should exchange root.hints with one from ftp.rs.internic.net,
> > containing the real root-servers (as Barry Margolin explains) Or,
> > if you have no out-side connection to the Internet, just skip the
> > root.hints section (or perhaps make it blank.) I'm a bit out on the
> > thin ice here, but I think that would solve your problem.
>
> Ok, if I change the root.hints with the one from ftp.rs.internic.net I
> get no startup errors but during REQUEST I get:
>
>   dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:c0:4f:e0:86:7a via eth1
>   dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.20.0.36 to 00:c0:4f:e0:86:7a via eth1
>   dhcpd: nsupdate failed: unknown hostname for update
>   dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.20.0.36 from 00:c0:4f:e0:86:7a via eth1
>   dhcpd: DHCPACK on 10.20.0.36 to 00:c0:4f:e0:86:7a via eth1
>
> Any ideas?
>
> /Eva

Yes, something (dhcp server??) is attempting to update the DNS server
dynamically (DDNS, RFC 2136), but the DNS server is not configured to
accept the update. The other messages indicate the 4 step sequence for a
machine getting an address via DHCP (Discover and request are from
client, offer and ack are from server) DHCP message types 1,2,3,5.

Since the root hints from internic work, there must be something wrong
with the syntax of your root server. It looks like you are master for
".", but trying to use a hints file to resolve it. You need a full zone
file for the  "." domain, with SOA records, NS records, etc.

Michael

Michael Voight
Cisco TAC