No root nameservers for class in

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Aug 4 13:55:31 UTC 1999

>     Eva> I have recently installed bind-8.2.1 but can't get it to work.
>
>     Eva> The log message is 'No root nameservers for class IN' and
>     Eva> 'SERVFAIL' is returned. The SERVFAIL means I am authoritative
>     Eva> but a zone is not loaded (according to the source code).
>
> This is a bug in 8.2.1. It reports this error message when the name
> server is authoritative for the root zone even though: (a) there's
> nothing wrong with the root zone file; (b) the name server knows about
> the root name servers. The error message is generated in error. I
> found this bug in one of the 8.2.1 betas and reported it to the ISC
> just before 8.2.1 was released.

	It is a false error but only when you are configured as a root
	server and only at start up.  It is fixed in 8.2.2.

	As for the underlying problem.  It is not clear what is trying
	to be achieved so no one is giving clear answers.  A description
	of the network topology involved, whether this is for a private
	network or a gateway machine, whether she is trying to configure
	a root server or is working in a world with other root servers
	would help us to give more precise answers.

	All that is clear is that there are private addresses involved.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org