The "Internet Routing Registry Toolset" (IRRToolSet) project at ISC is an activity proposed by the RIPE NCC. This project has been migrated from the USC Information Sciences Institute, where it was developed in 1997-2001 as the "Routing Arbiter ToolSet" (RAToolSet) project. As the RAToolSet is no longer developed by ISI but is used worldwide, the RIPE NCC proposed to migrate this project to the RIPE NCC in order to continue its development and support. The original name of the project was preserved during the transition process, but has been finally changed to IRRToolSet. Currently, the RIPE NCC has transfered maintainance of this toolset to ISC, who will be accepting code from the community and providing code maintainance.
IRRToolSet is a suite of policy analysis tools to operate with routing policies in RPSL [RFC 2622] format, registered in Internet Routing Registry(IRR). The main goal of the project is to make routing information more convenient and useful for network engineers, by providing tools for automated router configuration, routing policies analysis, and maintenance.
The project consists of the following tools:
- RtConfig: analyzes the routing policies registered in the Internet Routing Registry (IRR) and produces router configuration files;
- CIDRAdvisor: suggests safe cidr aggregates (i.e. those that do not violate any policy constraints) that an Autonomous System (AS) can advertise to each of its neighbour ASes;
- peval: low level policy evaluation tool that can be used to write router configuration generators;
- prtraceroute: prints the route and policy information packets take to a network host;
- prpath: enumerates a list of paths between Autonomous System and specified destination;
- aoe: C++/Tcl/Tk program that displays the aut-num object for the specified Autonomous System;
- roe: C++/Tcl/Tk program that lists the routes registered by the specified autonomous system;
- rpslcheck(prcheck): syntax-checks the aut-num object for Autonomous System registered in the Internet Routing Registry (IRR).
IRRToolset version 5.0.0 was released by ISC on 16 Jul 2010.
The project is implemented in C++ on a UNIX platform. It has been ported successfully to many platforms including: Sun Sparc stations running SunOS 4.1.3 or Solaris, FreeBSD, DEC Alphas running OSF/1, BSDI, Linux and NetBSD.
Versions starting from 4.7.2 contain aoe as well as a number of bug fixes.
Progress has been made with RPSLng (RPSL with IPv6 and multicast extentions) implementation in IRRToolSet. The prototype release contains peval, rpslcheck and RtConfig tools which already work with the new dictionary. Check the ftp site for the release. Any comments and suggestions about the prototype are appreciated.
Re-implemented peval and RtConfig are also available as a CGI script.
For more information, you can visit http://irrtoolset.isc.org/
- BIND 10
- Other Software Projects
- security advisories
- software forums
- ABOUT ISC