[Kea-users] DHCP NAK through relay option 82

Darren Ankney darren.ankney at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 11:24:15 UTC 2024

Hi Libor,

As you noted, this is because the server doesn't receive the option 82
data in subsequent renews.  You may be able to force clients to always
use the relay-agent on your router or whatever is doing the relay.
Otherwise, there isn't much you can do.  The Kea server can't classify
a client based on information that doesn't exist.  From the message
you provided where it fails to select a subnet it seems that you are
using the classification to control access to a subnet in some way.
Kea won't even get as far as looking for a lease, if it can't find a
subnet for the client.  If you can't alter your relay-agent's behavior
(with some, it is possible to mask the server address from the client
such that the client thinks the relay is the server), then you may
have to rethink your strategy.

Thank you,
Darren Ankney