[Kea-users] DDNS remove domain included in fqdn option

Rick Frey gribnut at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 04:48:56 UTC 2024

Per Kea docs, I believe kea will prefer the FQDN (81) option over the Hostname (12) option if both are provided from client.  Once name is derived from either option, Kea then determines if name is fully qualified or a partial.   In  your case, it seems that Kea determines the value in FQDN (81) is a partial name so it appends the ddns-qualifying-suffix.

Per https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4702#section-2.3, the domain name portion of the FQDN option can be a fully qualified domain name or a partial name that is not fully qualified.  Where
“To send a fully qualified domain name, the Domain Name field is set
   to the DNS-encoded domain name including the terminating zero-length
   label.  To send a partial name, the Domain Name field is set to the
   DNS encoded domain name without the terminating zero-length label.”.

Would need a packet capture to verify, but assuming your Windows clients are not terminating the FQDN value with a terminating zero-length label since Kea looks to be determining that the value is a partial name.  Guessing that the Windows clients may be misconfigured where they are not using a fully qualified domain name or Windows client is not honoring RFC4702 (or Kea not properly parsing FQDN option 81).

With that said, I don’t see a means to configure Kea to ignore the FQDN (81) option if Hostname (12) is also provided.  Others may have some ideas if there is means to configure Kea to ignore/replace the FQDN value when processing DDNS updates.