[Kea-users] Planning some experimentation with HA using ECMP

Brendan Kearney bpk678 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 13:41:09 UTC 2024

On 4/30/24 9:18 AM, Dan Geist wrote:
> Thanks Vicky.
>
> Facebook's dhcplb is an option, but it also solves problems that we
> don't have (imbalance of DHCP messaging and need for staged
> deployments). It also requires more infra (either physical or virtual)
> and a slightly greater network complexity which differs from what we
> already support in other services. I'm trying to stick with the "just
> because you have a hammer, you should still try to use a screwdriver
> on screws" philosophy :)
>
> I suppose the WAY in which the traffic is balanced is ultimately a
> wash, though. Either way, we'd need Kea instances in a horizontal
> N-number farm with mostly-identical behaviors (regardless of if they
> listen for the virtual IP or if it's housed one hop upstream).
> Ideally, having as little state as possible (or as little state that
> DIFFERS between hosts) is an important aspect.
>
> Performance tuning, strategy for maintaining the database backend
> (monolithic vs multiple replicating instances) and so forth will be
> important, but is there anything inherent about Kea itself that will
> break this conceptually (unique metadata payload in messaging that
> will break on DHCP refresh to a different node or something along
> those lines)?
>
> Thanks
> Dan
>
> ----- On Apr 30, 2024, at 8:39 AM, Victoria Risk <vicky at isc.org> wrote:
>

>         On Apr 29, 2024, at 6:16 PM, Dan Geist <dan at polter.net> wrote:
>
>         Hi. I have an environment where many of the network services
>         (DNS, NTP, ToD, etc.) provide scaling, fault tolerance, and
>         load sharing via ECMP (in front of the service) and BGP. Each
>         (of the 2 or more) service node(s) monitors the status of that
>         service and announces/pulls BGP announcements from the
>         upstream router pair. This works really well for protocols
>         with simple request/response transactions.
>
>         I'd like to try doing this same thing with Kea dhcpv(4|6). In
>         that setup, the same "virtual service IP" would be configured
>         on each of several Kea nodes (in addition to the real link
>         IPs) and they would announce these to the next hop (as above).
>         My thinking is that if there is a common configuration and
>         lease backend to these multiple nodes, then this can be a way
>         to provide HA services (and scaling) to a very large number of
>         devices. My only concern is how the multi-step transaction
>         will be handled.
>
>         Before I spend the time to mock this up, has anyone else tried
>         ECMP load distribution with DHCP, specifically on Kea, and are
>         there any "gotchas" to be aware of?
>

>     You might want to check out the DHCP Load Balancer from Facebook:
>     https://github.com/facebookincubator/dhcplb
>

>         Thanks.
>         Dan
>
>         --
>         Dan Geist dan(@)polter.net
>
>         --
>         ISC funds the development of this software with paid support

> [...]
i do quite a bit of anycast, using BGP, which may differ from your ECMP
desires.  that said, there is probably some overlap in the what, how and
why between the setups.  i have 3 nodes all participating in BGP, and
they inject routes to the IPs for several stateless services, like DNS,
NTP, Kerberos, etc.  in my BGP configs, i have set maximum-paths to 4,
allowing for multiple routes to the same address.  then i put the
anycast IP on the loopback or some other virtual interface, so that the
anycast IP is not on the wire.  if i understand things correctly, this
anycast setup is the way the root DNS servers are setup for their
anycast configurations.

i have started thinking about setting up Kea to have the "listening"
interface be a VIP on the loopback, like the rest of my anycast
services, but haven't gotten to a final design or game plan.  i am still
muttering through how Kea will work when i want to have the "listening"
interface receive requests and respond to them, while using a different
interface to talk to the other HA instances or to the database i'm using
for configs, etc.  the question i have not answered yet is, what, if
any, stateful requirements are there in Kea, that would obviate the use
of anycast?

stateless protocols are fully self contained in request and response,
and i dont know if dhcp, when served by Kea, is entirely stateless.
client to server requests, and their responses may be, but what happens
when you have a relay in between, like i do?  can Kea talk to different
things from different IPs?  like i said, can dhcp requests and responses
be received and responded to from a VIP that is stacked on the loopback
interface?  can that happen while other communications are going on, and
using different interfaces/IPs for those other communications?

i could definitely see a great reason for anycast or ECMP, and the
scalability, reliability and fault tolerance those bring, but its the
"how" of it all that i have not fully rationalized yet.

i hope you can accomplish what you are looking for, and would love to
hear of any progress you make.

thank you,

brendan kearney