[Kea-users] Converting a dhcpd option to kea

Darren Ankney darren.ankney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 21:00:17 UTC 2023

Hi,

You may want to have a look at the Kea Migration Assistant Online
site: https://dhcp.isc.org for help migrating an ISC DHCP
configuration to Kea (though it cannot automatically convert all parts
of some ISC DHCP configurations).  You configuration could be broken
into three parts.  The custom option definition
(https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/dhcp4-srv.html#custom-dhcpv4-options),
the Class definition / membership
(https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/classify.html), and the
setting of values in the custom options inside the class
(https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/classify.html).

Converted, it might look something like the below which I obtained
from the aforementioned https://dhcp.isc.org I have not tested the
config for functionality (though it looks to me like it would work),
only for correct syntax (meaning Kea will start and run using this
config).  Hopefully this (and the Kea Migration Assistant site) help!

{
  "Dhcp4": {
    "option-def": [
      {
        "space": "Nutanix",
        "name": "fc_ip",
        "code": 200,
        "type": "string"
      },
      {
        "space": "Nutanix",
        "name": "api_key",
        "code": 201,
        "type": "string"
      }
    ],
    "client-classes": [
      {
        "name": "NutanixFC",
        "test": "option[60].hex == 'NutanixFC'",
        "option-def": [
          {
            "name": "vendor-encapsulated-options",
            "code": 43,
            "type": "empty",
            "encapsulate": "Nutanix"
          }
        ],
        "option-data": [
          {
            "name": "vendor-encapsulated-options",
            "code": 43
          },
          {
            "space": "Nutanix",
            "name": "fc_ip",
            "code": 200,
            "data": "10.1.1.1"
          },
          {
            "space": "Nutanix",
            "name": "api_key",
            "code": 201,
            "data":
"eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJLZXlVVUlEIjoiZjE2MzBkYzMtODU0OC00YjZiLTZlMWMtZTVlOTU0YjM1NTQ2In0.HB_IdIaFvvyHpfzDzLZMQkHKstRsdiWnEMoqtU4N4kY"
          }
        ]
      }
    ]