[Kea-users] Issue installing Kea DHCP4 on Ubuntu 22 with Postgresql 16

Ben Bridges bbridges at springnet.net
Tue Oct 17 18:34:46 UTC 2023

Hi,

I am trying to install the Kea DHCP4 server on Ubuntu 22.04 with PostgreSQL v16.  When I try to create the database tables with kea-admin, I get the following error:

psql:/usr/share/kea/scripts/pgsql/dhcpdb_create.pgsql:36: ERROR:  permission denied for schema public
LINE 1: CREATE TABLE lease4 (

I had granted all privileges on the public schema (as well as all privileges to the kea database) to the kea user.  I read that in postgresql v16 only the owner of a database can create objects in it, so I changed the owner of the kea database to be the kea user and re-ran "kea-admin db-init" to initialize the kea database.  I did not get the above error, and the "kea-admin db-version ..." command now returns '18.0', but the "kea-admin db-init" command did output the following NOTICEs:

psql:/usr/share/kea/scripts/pgsql/dhcpdb_create.pgsql:140: NOTICE:  function lease4dumpheader() does not exist, skipping
psql:/usr/share/kea/scripts/pgsql/dhcpdb_create.pgsql:148: NOTICE:  function lease4dumpdata() does not exist, skipping
psql:/usr/share/kea/scripts/pgsql/dhcpdb_create.pgsql:178: NOTICE:  function lease6dumpheader() does not exist, skipping
psql:/usr/share/kea/scripts/pgsql/dhcpdb_create.pgsql:186: NOTICE:  function lease6dumpdata() does not exist, skipping

Are those message ok?  Did I do the correct thing by changing the owner of the kea database to be the kea user?  Will that cause problems later when Kea is upgraded to a newer version?  Should the owner of the kea database be changed back to the root user after it is initialized?  Should the kea user be granted all privileges on the public schema as I did?

Thanks,
.Ben Bridges.