[Kea-users] client getting IP without reservation

Jason Keltz jas at yorku.ca
Wed Nov 22 17:41:21 UTC 2023

Hi.

I have now configured my Kea installation with many subnets, each with
their own reservations.  It's working well.

There's also one global reservation set for hosts that are configured
without an IP so they can connect in the dynamic range of any subnet.

I wanted to do a test of what would happen if a host ether was not
referenced in either the subnet or global sections.

I took one host which was getting a reserved IP in a subnet, released
the IP, then changed the host ethernet address in the Kea config file so
that the host would no longer be recognized.

When I DHCP renew on the host, I now get an IP in the dynamic range.
This isn't the behaviour I want.  Since the host doesn't have a
reservation either in a subnet or in the global pool, I want to be
denied an IP.

What option am I missing?

Jason.