[Kea-users] a few questions from a Kea newbie

Jason Keltz jas at yorku.ca
Tue Nov 14 16:22:18 UTC 2023

________________________________
From: Kea-users <kea-users-bounces at lists.isc.org> on behalf of Kevin P. Fleming <lists.kea-users at kevin.km6g.us>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2023 11:15 AM
To: kea-users at lists.isc.org <kea-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: Re: [Kea-users] a few questions from a Kea newbie

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023, at 11:10, Jason Keltz wrote:
However, my experience with multiple IPv4 addresses to the same ether does not work, and you said that it should.

I tried to reserve:
hw-address: 78:24:af:45:32:99 with hostname test1 and ip <masked ip>
hw-address: as-above with hostname test1 and different ip

When running kea, it loads the first reservation, but after reading the second one, it reports that this HW address has already been added so it can't be added again - thoughts?:

DHCP4_PARSER_FAIL failed to create or run parser for configuration element reservations: failed to add new host using the HW address '78:24:af:45:32:99' to the IPv4 subnet id '0' as this host has already been added
DHCP4_CONFIG_LOAD_FAIL configuration error using file: /xconf/kea/kea-dhcp4.conf.fowl1, reason: failed to add new host using the HW address '78:24:af:45:32:99' to the IPv4 subnet id '0' as this host has already been added
DHCP4_INIT_FAIL failed to initialize Kea server: configuration error using file '/xconf/kea/kea-dhcp4.conf.fowl1': failed to add new host using the HW address '78:24:af:45:32:99' to the IPv4 subnet id '0' as this host has already been added

Did you try to put both reservations in the same subnet? That's definitely not going to work, and wouldn't really make sense even if Kea accepted it.

---

Hi Kevin and Matt,

At the top of my configuration, I specify:

"host-reservation-identifiers": [ "hw-address" ],
"reservations-global" : true,
... then outside of my subnet4 section, I have the global reservations section where I list all my reservations.  I can understand why it would make sense for the reservation for each subnet to be declared in each subnet.  However, wouldn't it also make sense to define the reservations a global?
In this particular case, my system is auto-generating the reservations file from our host database, and its so much easier in kea configuration file to just "include" the reservations file at the right place.  That's how I used to do it with DHCPd.

Thanks!

Jason.