[Kea-users] max-unacked-clients definition

Frey, Rick E Rick.Frey at windstream.com
Fri Jun 23 03:22:08 UTC 2023

Apologies, I listed incorrect state of server to begin counting unack'd clients (should have said communication-interrupted instead of partner-down) and I missed first part of thread where Kraishak listed that state of server was indeed communication-interrupted and had counted 1 unack'd client.

Earlier in thread, Kraishak's config listed max-unacked-clients = 2.  If I understand correctly, the standby host would need to exceed 2 unacked clients before transitioning to partner-down.  This seems to bear out with earlier status output of "unacked-clients = 1" and "unacked-clients-left = 2" (where total unacked clients must be 3 to exceed configured max-unacked-clients).  If I'm caught up correctly, question remains why additional requests were not counted as unacked.

In looking at earlier packet capture, I only see two MAC addresses with DHCP requests:
34:98:b5:dc:1f:99
08:6a:c5:82:de:a8
If the server is only seeing request from two clients, the configured "max-unacked-clients" setting of "2" will never be exceeded.

There is also some question as to why Kraishak is only seeing status of 1 "unacked-clients" even when there are requests from two clients that exceed 10 seconds.   The packet capture shows requests from 08:6a:c5:82:de:a8 using little endian encoding for seconds elapsed.  I believe this is bad behavior of Windows clients (packet has Vendor class ID of MSFT 5.0).  Wondering if the bad encoding of seconds field may be tripping Kea up.   The other possibility may be that both clients have not exceeded max-ack-delay of 10 seconds at the same time.