[Kea-users] kea dhcp server does not respond to dhcpDISCOVER

Darren Ankney darren.ankney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 10:04:13 UTC 2023

Hi Khebchi,

all 255 is broadcast.  That will be the response source and
destination, I believe, to a local DISCOVER.  If some other behavior
is desired, then the traffic must be relayed using a relay agent so
that it is no longer broadcast.  The relay agent is designed to
forward broadcast traffic from a non-local network to a DHCP server as
unicast, receive the response as unicast and broadcast that to the
local client.  See RFC 2131
(https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2131.html) and 2132
(https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2132.html) for (most) details.

Thank you,