[Kea-users] Kea 2.3.3 Initial Install with PostgreSQL on Proxmox CT Ubuntu 22.04

tech at chaoticreality.com tech at chaoticreality.com
Wed Jan 25 16:55:19 UTC 2023

Hello all,

I am new to the world of ISC Kea/DDNS and tech. And it has been a very long
time since I have played around in any Linux environments.

I am attempting to configure:

   >    Kea version 2.3.3

   >    DHCP4

   >    DHCP 6 (possibly in the future)

   >    DDNS

   >    PostgreSQL

   >    Stork

on an Ubuntu container within Proxmox.

When I get this fully configured my hope is to provide DHCP/DDNS service to
several VLAN from this single DHCP service. I also have the hope to get this
into a docker container at some point so it can live in a cluster.

>From what I have been able to do thus far I can get Kea installed and
functional, however I wish to enable lease records to be stored within a dB
as I will be configuring high availability once I get my first server fully
up and running. I have chosen PostgreSQL as it has a small footprint, better
performance, and easier install. After installing Kea I was getting an error
message when trying to run the kea-admin db-init script for the dB setup
error message something like: "-bash: !0: event not found" and have been
unable to solve that. I did a fresh container setup with same result, then
did a Debian container, also same error.  Obviously, I am missing something.
I went further to setup a new container and attempt the install from source
code building the configuration with PostgreSQL defined as part of the
config. This seemed to work, but then I could not get it to run properly. My
preference is to use the isc-kea script to allow an easier more repeatable,
and more time efficient process.

That being said, I went back to the drawing board with my plan after
learning more from the source install.

On the current attempt I have configured a new container, ubuntu 22.04,
pre-installed and configured some required software. I have included a
high-level script of what I have completed up to this point in time. In
previous attempts my next step would be the install of isc-kea (apt install
isc-kea -y).

Questions

Are there any missing dependencies I should first install?

Are there any additional flags or configurations I should configure to allow
the isc-kea process to install with the connection to PostgreSQL accounted
for and handled during the install?

High level these are the steps I have taken up to this point:

Create Container

   >    Using ubuntu 22.04 template.

          >    Hard disk 30 GiB, Memory: 4 GiB, Minimum swap: 1 GiB, Cores
4, Static IP

Updates / General software

   >    apt-get update

   >    apt dist-upgrade

   >    apt install curl -y

   >    apt install openssh*

Enable SSH/Console Login for direct console access

   >    sed -i 's/#PermitRootLogin prohibit-password/PermitRootLogin yes/'
/etc/ssh/sshd_config

   >    service ssh restart

   >    systemctl enable ssh

Install PostgreSQL and supporting software (PostgreSQL version 14)

   >    apt install postgresql -y

   >    sudo apt-get install postgresql-server-dev-all libpq-dev

   >    sudo -u postgres psql template1

   >    ALTER USER postgres with encrypted password 'my_password_went_here';

   >    sudo systemctl restart postgresql.service

   >    sudo apt install postgresql-client

   >    sudo apt install postgresql-doc-14

Add repo for CloudSmith

   >    curl-1sLf\   '