[Kea-users] Monitoring a Kea cluster

Oscar Carlsson oscar at spindel.tax
Wed Jan 4 09:35:47 UTC 2023

"Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists at xunil.at> writes:

> Am 27.12.22 um 12:46 schrieb Darren Ankney:
>
>> In any case, I’d be concerned why it was running but not
>> answering
>> requests more-so than I would be about how to monitor it using
>> actual DHCP.  I vaguely remember having some trouble with Kea
>> and
>> systemd startup ordering (ie: it started up before the server’s
>> IP
>> was on the interface).  Setting After=network.target took care
>> of
>> it.
>
> We saw the behavior again yesterday: no DHCP leases after a
> reboot
> until we restarted kea.
>
> In the service file there are these lines:
>
> Wants=network-online.target
> After=network-online.target
> After=time-sync.target
>
> https://systemd.io/NETWORK_ONLINE/ gives some information about
> these
> targets ... "network-online.target" should fit better .. but
> doesn't
> seem to be enough.
>
> We use raw sockets for kea, but the server listens on multiple
> vlan-interfaces:
>
> {
>         "Dhcp4": {
>                 "interfaces-config": {
>                         "interfaces": [ "enp0s31f6",
>                         "enp0s31f6.101",
>                         "enp0s31f6.102", "enp0s31f6.103",
>                        "enp0s31f6.200" ],
>                         "dhcp-socket-type": "raw"
>                 },

Hi,

I've run Kea (in my homelab, not in production) on a machine with
multiple vlan
interfaces without issues, on Debian 10/11 and FreeBSD 13.0/13.1.

I've found that I had to instruct systemd when the network is to
be regarded as
online, as my default route came through a sub-interface
(enp1s0.10 in my
case).

# systemctl edit --full systemd-networkd-wait-online.service
[...]
[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-networkd-wait-online -i
enp1s0.10
RemainAfterExit=yes

Hope that helps.

Regards,