[Kea-users] Monitoring a Kea cluster

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Tue Jan 3 08:20:15 UTC 2023

Am 27.12.22 um 12:46 schrieb Darren Ankney:

> In any case, I’d be concerned why it was running but not answering
> requests more-so than I would be about how to monitor it using actual
> DHCP.  I vaguely remember having some trouble with Kea and systemd
> startup ordering (ie: it started up before the server’s IP was on the
> interface).  Setting After=network.target took care of it.

We saw the behavior again yesterday: no DHCP leases after a reboot until
we restarted kea.

In the service file there are these lines:

Wants=network-online.target
After=network-online.target
After=time-sync.target

https://systemd.io/NETWORK_ONLINE/ gives some information about these
targets ... "network-online.target" should fit better .. but doesn't
seem to be enough.

We use raw sockets for kea, but the server listens on multiple
vlan-interfaces:

{
         "Dhcp4": {
                 "interfaces-config": {
                         "interfaces": [ "enp0s31f6", "enp0s31f6.101",
"enp0s31f6.102", "enp0s31f6.103", "enp0s31f6.200" ],
                         "dhcp-socket-type": "raw"
                 },