[Kea-users] server with multiple IPs

Jason Keltz jas at yorku.ca
Tue Dec 5 19:08:25 UTC 2023

Hi..

My kea configuration file defines a bunch of subnets.  Each subnet defines a pool of IPs which is restricted to client-class "KNOWN".  Each subnet includes many reservations, ethernet address => IP.  All reserved IPs are outside of the subnet pool.

My configuration  also defines global host reservations (with ether, and not specific IP) so that hosts which do not have a reserved IP can get an IP from any subnet.

Everything has been working fine, but today I noticed something interesting...

A server (not managed by me) has 6 IP addresses!  It has a primary IP which is from its subnet pool where its connected,  a secondary IP which is its reserved IP on the subnet, and the other IPs are also from the subnet pool.

Obviously the server is misconfigured, but that's a different story.  I don't want the server to be able to get multiple IPs from the same subnet.

Since my pools are available to client-class KNOWN, and KNOWN would include all hosts (each host either has a reservation specifying an ether and an IP or just an ether), then all clients are "KNOWN".  This prevents someone random from connecting and getting an IP.  However, how can I enforce that if a host has a reservation for an IP, it should get that IP and that IP only? And that once it gets that IP that it should not get any other IP from the pool?

Thanks for your time!

Jason.