[Kea-users] Config backend and Rest API

Darren Ankney darren.ankney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 14:34:52 UTC 2023

Hi,

Let me start by mentioning this article:
https://kb.isc.org/docs/experimenting-with-postgresql-high-availability
If you scroll down to the section titled: "Testing Kea API commands
with PGPool-II backend", you will find an example of using the
database backend to store leases, host reservations, and
configuration.

Maintenance of database stored Host reservations requires the host
commands hook (https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/hooks.html#libdhcp-host-cmds-so-host-commands).
This is a premium hook that must be purchased or a support contract
must be purchased in order to obtain the hook.

Configuration parameters stored in the database require the
Configuration Backend Commands hook
(https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/hooks.html#libdhcp-cb-cmds-so-configuration-backend-commands).
This is also a premium hook.

Also required for Configuration backend storage is the specific
MySQL/MariaDB (https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/hooks.html#libdhcp-mysql-cb-so-configuration-backend-for-mysql)
or PostgreSQL (https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/hooks.html#libdhcp-pgsql-cb-so-configuration-backend-for-postgresql)
configuration backend hook.  Neither of these are premium hooks.

Leases stored in the database may be accessed with the Lease Commands
hook (https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/hooks.html#libdhcp-lease-cmds-so-lease-commands-for-easier-lease-management).
This is not a premium hook.

The Kea control agent is NOT premium hook:
https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/agent.html It is an
optional Kea component that allows API communication over IP rather
than directly to the unix socket of the appropriate Kea component.

You can see each of these hooks in use at the aforementioned article.

Thank you,

Darren Ankney