[Kea-users] Never send option 12 (host name) as a response even if the client sends it

rahul at rsun.dev rahul at rsun.dev
Tue Aug 1 15:51:31 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,
I’m working on ZTP of Juniper devices.
Kea 2.5, running on Ubuntu
The Juniper device sends option 12 (host name) as its serial number for DHCP requests. I use this S/N with the flex option hook to serve a tailored configuration file. This includes the hostname a device uses

But kea also sends option 12 as the S/N which overrides what I set in the configuration.
Is there a way I can configure kea so that I can use option 12 for the hook processing, but kea’s response shouldn’t send option 12 back to the client

I’ve already tried setting this option under the dhcp4 global key. But that doesn’t work

Option-data: [
	{“code”: 12,
	“never-send”: true}
]

The kea doc states option 12 cannot be controlled, and it is managed by DNS. But I don’t have any DNS servers running either. I just want kea to stop sending option 12

Thank you