[Kea-users] kea-dhcp failover not working

Kraishak Mahtha kraishak.edu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 05:20:40 UTC 2023

> Hi Dareen,
>
> Thanks for sharing the answers, yes yesterday while I was exploring more
> about the Kea-HA, I came to know that if we use multithreading then we
> don't need to use a kea-control agent and I did try the test case it worked
> well for me.
>
> You can log kea-ctrl-agent.http in the kea-ctrl-agent config and probably
> kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks will contain the kea-dhcp4 perspective.
>
> --> ok sure
>
>  >>In any case, after Kea loses contact with the other server it won't
> answer clients until max-unacked-clients is reached. -> Got it
>
> One more question regarding the load balancing HA mode, in the document (
> https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/hooks.html#supported-configurations)
> it says that
>
> However, it is not always clear to the operators that using
> the load-balancing mode requires manually splitting the address pools
> between two Kea instances using client classification, to preclude both
> servers from allocating the same address to different clients. Such a split
> is not needed in the hot-standby mode
>
> --->So do we need to manually split the scope in the load balancing
> configuration by associating the classes in HA mode for load balancing type
> like this ?`
>
> Config:

 "subnet4": [{

        "subnet": "192.0.3.0/24",
        "pools": [{
            "pool": "192.0.3.100 - 192.0.3.150",
            "client-class": "HA_server1"
         }, {
            "pool": "192.0.3.200 - 192.0.3.250",
            "client-class": "HA_server2"
         }],

         "option-data": [{
            "name": "routers",
            "data": "192.0.3.1"
         }],

Something like this: HA_Server1 and HA_Server2?`

> I am asking because I have around 5 to 6 DHCP pairs with hundreds of
> subnets configured on each failover peer in ISC DHCP. Most of the subnets
> have multiple scopes, ranging from 5 to 6 and with different ranges. For
> example, the first scope may have 17 IPs, the second 35, and the third
> around 200. This is in a spread-out environment where we use ISC.
>
> Generally, in ISC, we define the scopes and split percentages, and DHCP
> takes care of sharing the IPs between them. However, in Kea, there doesn't
> seem to be a similar mechanism, or I could be wrong. Could you please let
> me know if the process of manual splitting should be done in Kea when
> migrating from ISC to Kea? Or do we have any other configuration
> parameter that makes the Kea DHCP server automatically split the IPs 50-50%
> from all available scopes of the subnet?

Thanks
Kraishak