[Kea-users] HA with kea-dhcp4: beginner questions

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Nov 23 11:52:16 UTC 2022

Am 23.11.22 um 12:43 schrieb Darren Ankney:

> If clients were attempting to get addresses at what should have been
> an elevated pace, there should have been elevated logs in the minutes
> leading up to the unplug.  There are many nuanced logging options with
> Kea.  Do you normally see detailed logs of clients attempting to
> retrieve addresses (successful or unsuccessful)?  If you had no logs
> at all, then the logging may be broken, not configured correctly in
> the first place, client messages may not have been getting to the
> server, or Kea may not have been running.

I am quite sure it was running. Browsed the logs up to that plugging
event, communication between the nodes was up.

I grepped this out of the logs, maybe something is visible here:

06:32:57.393 adc2 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from HOT-STANDBY to PARTNER-DOWN state, partner state is
UNDEFINED
06:39:50.404 adc1 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from HOT-STANDBY to WAITING state, partner state is PARTNER-DOWN
06:39:50.404 adc1 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from WAITING to SYNCING state, partner state is PARTNER-DOWN
06:39:50.441 adc1 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from SYNCING to READY state, partner state is PARTNER-DOWN
06:39:55.403 adc2 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from PARTNER-DOWN to HOT-STANDBY state, partner state is READY
06:40:54.795 adc1 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from READY to PARTNER-DOWN state, partner state is UNDEFINED
06:41:06.394 adc2 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from HOT-STANDBY to PARTNER-DOWN state, partner state is
UNDEFINED
07:12:28.853 adc1 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from PARTNER-DOWN to WAITING state, partner state is
PARTNER-DOWN
07:12:28.853 adc1 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from WAITING to SYNCING state, partner state is PARTNER-DOWN
07:12:28.879 adc1 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from SYNCING to READY state, partner state is PARTNER-DOWN
07:12:35.392 adc2 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from PARTNER-DOWN to WAITING state, partner state is READY
07:12:35.392 adc2 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from WAITING to SYNCING state, partner state is READY
07:12:35.420 adc2 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from READY to HOT-STANDBY state, partner state is READY
07:12:35.420 adc2 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from SYNCING to READY state, partner state is READY
07:12:39.060 adc1 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from READY to HOT-STANDBY state, partner state is HOT-STANDBY
07:23:04.570 adc1 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from HOT-STANDBY to PARTNER-DOWN state, partner state is
UNDEFINED
07:24:13.921 adc1 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_STATE_TRANSITION server
transitions from WAITING to PARTNER-DOWN state, partner state is UNDEFINED

>> My assumption:
>>
>> the samba-installation might have removed or replaced some package kea
>> depends on. I don't know what ...
>
> Most likely, Kea would have failed to run at all if some libraries
> were unavailable or were incorrect versions (assuming Linux here).

Yes, as mentioned: Debian 11 Bullseye.

Good to know. That was just one thought, as always I try to think "what
has changed?" to analyse ...

>> so maybe kea on adc2 was already not working OK anymore yesterday
>> evening and in the night ... but that wasn't noticed because the leases
>> were still active (?)
>
> That is possible.  Depending on your lease length, you wouldn't
> necessarily notice anything until someone complained about being
> unable to obtain an IP address.

yes

> Before you rebooted adc2, did you check if Kea was running?

it was running

> Is this
> DHCPv4, DHCPv6 or both?  What OS is adc2?  Which HA mode did you
> choose?

Debian 11.5
isc-kea-2.3.2
DHCPv4 only
hot-standby (with adc2 as primary)

> If you would share your logging configuration, that would help
> too.

Sure:

currently the loglevel is pretty low, I assume. I had "severity" :
"DEBUG" while the setup phase.

->

"loggers": [
         {