[Kea-users] How to best update the KEA configuration on a HA hot-standby KEA setup

Veronique Lefebure Veronique.Lefebure at cern.ch
Wed Nov 16 16:27:07 UTC 2022

Hi,

When running KEA on one single server, (no HA), and updating the KEA dhcp configuration file every 5 minute, using "config-set"
https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/latest/arm/ctrl-channel.html?highlight=config-set#the-config-set-command ,
we can see that KEA does not reply to the DHCP requests during 30-35 seconds while "config-set" is running.

Is it expected ?
If yes, if we add a second server in a HA hot-standby mode, can we expect it to answer to the DHCP requests while the first server is busy with config-set ?
If yes, we need to update the second server asynchronously with respect to the first one, else they would both be busy with "config-set" at the same time.

I would be interested to know how people are updating the KEA DHCP configuration in a HA hot-standby setup.

Thanks,
Veronique