[Kea-users] How do I install and configure ISC Kea DHCP Server on RHEL 9.0?

Ricardo J. Barberis ricardo at palmtx.com.ar
Tue Nov 15 19:17:18 UTC 2022

El martes, 15 de noviembre de 2022 14:12:43 -03 Sandro escribio:
> On 15-11-2022 17:20, Ricardo J. Barberis wrote:
> > Sorry for my previous emtpy email, I accidentally pressed send :(
>
> Happen to all of us. ;)

Those emails got to the list? I sent them from a wrong account and they
bounced so I though they went to the limbo.

Three mails, two mistakes: it's not my day haha.

> >> I would recommend, if possible, to update straight to Rocky 9, or
> >> better, since you are on CentOS, to CentOS Stream 9.
> >>
> >> Otherwise you'll have to upgrade again in ~18 month, when Rocky 8
> >> (CentOS Stream 8) goes EOL. Kea is available for el9 from EPEL (version
> >> 2.2.0).
> >>
> >> -- Sandro
> >
> > I just wanted to clarify that Rocky Linux (and Alma Linux) follow RHEL,
> > not
> > CentOS Stream, so you have 10 years of support.
>
> Since RHEL 8, Red Hat offers 5 years of full support and another 5 years
> of maintenance support [1]. I'm no expert on the difference, but to my
> understanding only high priority issues will be fixed at Red Hat's
> discretion during maintenance support. The last minor release of RHEL 8,
> which marks the end of full support, is scheduled for May 2024 [2].
>
> So, yeah, I was wrong saying RHEL 8 is going EOL in May 2024. But since
> RHEL 9 is already out, I'd go with that. In the same fashion I will
> shortly upgrade from Fedora 35 to 37, skipping 36.
>
> Since CentOS Stream is a different beast all together, Rocky 9 (or any
> other RHEL clone version 9) would be my choice when upgrading from
> CentOS 7. For a fresh install, I'd definitely consider CentOS Stream 9.

Definitely, I also would go with Rocky or Alma over Stream to replace CentOS
7, but I'm a bit more conservative and would wait till EL 9.1 before jumping
versions :)

--
Ricardo J. Barberis
SysAdmin & IT Architect