[Kea-users] How do I install and configure ISC Kea DHCP Server on RHEL 9.0?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Nov 15 12:32:51 UTC 2022

On 11/15/2022 1:03 AM, Sandro wrote:
> I would recommend, if possible, to update straight to Rocky 9, or
> better, since you are on CentOS, to CentOS Stream 9.
>
> Otherwise you'll have to upgrade again in ~18 month, when Rocky 8
> (CentOS Stream 8) goes EOL. Kea is available for el9 from EPEL
> (version 2.2.0).

As a rule, I upgrade the OS when I upgrade the hardware, because
upgrading between major revisions isn't supported. And generally
requires a lot of finicky tweaking of settings, so I need to get that
done while the old hardware and OS are in service.

Back when Fedora replaced the original Red Hat releases for end user
installation, I discovered I was supposed to upgrade every 6 months. I
discovered RHEL/CentOS had a much longer upgrade cycle matching how long
I went between hardware replacement, so I switched.

For specific applications I'm willing to install a more bleeding-edge
version, and Kea fits into that category, as there don't seem to be
major breaking changes between minor versions, and I'm not doing
anything exotic with my small networks.