[Kea-users] yet another question about multiple subnets %)

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Mon Nov 14 13:14:37 UTC 2022

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>
> sorry, guys, but i'm going to ask the most popular question again, to which t
> here is still no working answer: how to set multiple subnets on a same interf
> ace so that a client receives an address from each network?

=> if I understand well you have a physical network directly attached to
the server with multiple IPv6 prefixes. As it is a common case in IPv6
of course it is supported by Kea but not so easy.

The first thing (which is not strictly necessary) is to use a shared network
to represent the physical network. This mainly allows to share common
properties of the different subnets e.g. the interface.

The second thing is more technical and is system dependent: the server must
have an address on the interface for each prefix and instead of leaving
it to use the first not link-local address of the interface you should bind
to each address of the interface so replace if the interface is eth0:
 "eth0" by "eth0/2001::...", etc. See the ARM "9.2.4. Interface Configuration"
for the details.

Thanks

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>