[Kea-users] yet another question about multiple subnets %)

3 babut at yandex.ru
Fri Nov 11 13:58:46 UTC 2022

> I am fairly certain that what you want to do is not possible. A client which receives multiple DHCP OFFER will choose one and complete the operation, and ignore the rest. It won't track all of them and obtain multiple addresses.

there doesn't have to be several of them, i just got desperate and tried the option with multiple kea servers. are you sure you're a developer? i have a feeling that you are the same poor guy as me ;) sorry, but i don't need divination and assumptions, i need an absolutely unambiguous answer from who writes this server.
i don't speak english very well, but doesn't it say here that it's possible?
----------------
RFC 8415                      DHCP for IPv6                November 2018

6.6.  Multiple Addresses and Prefixes

DHCP allows a client to receive multiple addresses.  During typical
   operation, a client sends one instance of an IA_NA option and the
   server assigns at most one address from each prefix assigned to the
   link to which the client is attached.  In particular, the server can
   be configured to serve addresses out of multiple prefixes for a given
   link.  This is useful in cases such as when a network renumbering
   event is in progress.  In a typical deployment, the server will grant
   one address for each IA_NA option (see Section 21.4).

   A client can explicitly request multiple addresses by sending
   multiple IA_NA options (and/or IA_TA options; see Section 21.5).  A
   client can send multiple IA_NA (and/or IA_TA) options in its initial
   transmissions.  Alternatively, it can send an extra Request message
   with additional new IA_NA (and/or IA_TA) options (or include them in
   a Renew message).

   The same principle also applies to prefix delegation.  In principle,
   DHCP allows a client to request new prefixes to be delegated by
   sending additional IA_PD options (see Section 21.21).  However, a
   typical operator usually prefers to delegate a single, larger prefix.
   In most deployments, it is recommended that the client request a
   larger prefix in its initial transmissions rather than request
   additional prefixes later on.

   The exact behavior of the server (whether to grant additional
   addresses and prefixes or not) is up to the server policy and is out
   of scope for this document.