[Kea-users] Problems setting up HA

perl-list perl-list at network1.net
Wed Nov 9 14:15:17 UTC 2022

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 12:38 PM perl-list < [ mailto:perl-list at network1.net |
> perl-list at network1.net ] > wrote:

>> The other one is still receiving the packets, it just isn't doing anything with
>> them unless it becomes the active device (assuming you chose hot-standby mode)

> I configured load-balancing mode :S

Something isn't correct then.  I've never configured the load-balancing mode so I couldn't say what to look for specifically other than something general like:

1) make sure that both servers are configured in the same HA mode: load-balancing
2) Make sure that both servers are receiving the DHCP traffic (you can check with tcpdump to be completely sure)

>> You can perform load testing with perfdhcp: [
>> https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/man/perfdhcp.8.html |
>> https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/man/perfdhcp.8.html ]
> trying to install this conflicts with isc-kea-common...

you can install it on a different machine (in fact you should - not sure you can test from the same machine).

>> As far as checking functionality of HA, I am not sure... I guess you could shut
>> down the primary and see what happens? I have done that, but it won't
>> immediately switch. It will wait until a certain number of clients are trying
>> to obtain a lease and then switch.
> stopped dhcp service in server1 and server2 did nothing but complaining about
> the heartbeat...

>> That is a tunable parameter, however.

> Is "max-unacked-clients" ?

yes - that is the parameter.