[Kea-users] shared-network "interface" and "relay" parameters

Veronique Lefebure veronique.lefebure at cern.ch
Tue Jun 14 09:55:29 UTC 2022

Hi,
I have read
* https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/latest/arm/dhcp4-srv.html?highlight=subnet4#local-and-relayed-traffic-in-shared-networks
* and https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/latest/arm/dhcp4-srv.html?highlight=subnet4#using-a-specific-relay-agent-for-a-subnet
But the following is not clear to me. Can someone help clarifying ?

- In ISC DHCP there is no subnet selectors (interface or relay address) , i.e no  "interface" nor "relay" parameter in Shared-Network. Why is it needed in KEA and not in DHCPD ? What is DHCPD using in order to select the subnet, since there is no "interface" nor "relay" parameter in the configuration file ? Why does KEA not use the same mechanism ?

- are "interface" and  "relay" exclusive or can we have both ?

Thanks,
Veronique