[Kea-users] KEA High-Availability experience

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 18:22:57 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 10:01 AM <Veronique.Lefebure at cern.ch> wrote:

> Many thanks.
> And did you have the opportunity to fall back on the standby server,
> either for maintenance or because the first server went down in an
> unintended manner ?
>
> On 28/01/2022 19:42 Mark Moseley <moseleymark at gmail.com> wrote:

I've only done failovers while testing, both when setting things up
initially and once things were in production. What I haven't had happen yet
is a non-user-initiated failover due to some real issue, since it's only
been deployed to production for a few months now. My testing failover all
worked well though.

I did however learn that if you're using a mysql backend for leases (as I
am, replicating an on-board mysql db between both Kea hosts), you should
suppress replication for the lease tables, since the hot standby does its
own Kea-based replication for leases (I had missed this in the docs). I put
the leases into a second database and turned off replication for that
database. I could've suppressed it just for the lease4 table but this felt
"cleaner". I imagine the same is likely true for other backends like
Postgres.