[Kea-users] recover from split brain?

David Ramsey dmr at ramseyfamily.org
Tue Feb 8 20:12:08 UTC 2022

Lab testing I've done shows that the Active/Standby HA configuration works
well if one or the other DHCP servers fails completely.  Automatic takeover
and recovery work nicely.

If an Active/Standby HA implementation were to go "split brain" with core
network severed between DHCP servers, however, both would go active and the
lease DBs would no longer be in sync.

How to recover from that when the network is restored?  I know there are a
ton of variables involved - lease times, how long network was segmented, #
subscribers, etc.... but I am wrestling with what would be the optimal
approach/logic to consolidate and recover ?

Help?

Thanks folks, --David