[Kea-users] promote passive-backup Backup server to active?

David Ramsey dmr at ramseyfamily.org
Wed Feb 2 14:53:52 UTC 2022

We are concerned about losing heartbeats between distant servers and
encountering a "split brain" scenario, so we are considering a more manual
failover using the passive-backup mode of HA.

What is the best practice for promoting a backup server to active?  Docs
simply say that it "requires manual intervention from the administrator".

I can't seem to find a native API mechanism for this.  The best way I can
think of seems to be ensuring that the primary can't come back online and
then changing the passive-backup server's "this-server-name" to BE the
primary.

This seems like a kludge.  How are others doing this?

Thanks!  --dmr